Originally Posted by NYMafia
But BF, thats exactly what we're talking about! Columbus' record of accomplishment and achievement. HIs singular accomplishment that opened up a brand new and exciting chapter in the history of "mankind". We ALL benefited from his discoveries.

Nobody is saying that Christopher Columbus was a "perfect" man, or that he should achieve sainthood and be canonized like Mother Theresa. He was flesh and blood like you and I. Like every other man on earth. And he had his failings...just like you and I.

But that shouldn't diminish or wipe out his singular stellar accomplishments should it?... I'll answer my own question here. Of course not!

That would be like canceling Martin Luther King Day, and erasing his accomplishments because we know that he had an eye for the ladies and was a philanderer. It was said that he cheated on his wife Mrs. King with female aides and young attractive women who were enamored with him that he met on his travels while out preaching many times. Some even say that he was suspected of diverting funds donated to his cause for his own use.

But we take the good with the "not so good", or bad in life right. The accomplishments of great men are to be recognized in life, and if those things achieved were significant enough, thats why we erect statues to them, and name holidays in their honor. Period!

At the end of the day you'll chose to believe what is "convenient" for you. I on the other hand will believe what I so chose. Just thank God that you have that privilege by living in America, and a free society that allows free thinking, and that you don't reside in Russia or some other country that stifles free speech.

Oh, and by the way, you can largely thank Chris for laying the groundwork that one too! ... Happy Columbus Day!

Happy Indigenous Day

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spend the night with a mosquito.
- African Proverb