Originally Posted by Dob_Peppino
I came across an interesting report done by Villanova University. It was geared primarily towards what it called "The lawful Mafioso". The report, enlightening me to some of the lucrative and quiet Legitimate businesses and businessesmen in the Family during this time.
I uncovered a connection between Philadelphia member and Legit businessman NINO CALIO and NY MANGANO member GUISEPPE "THE PEASANT" TRAINA, thru a Yeast Company.... Its interesting how the the lines get crossed in CN

You have struck on a sub-subject very important to me. Not only the "infiltration" of legitimate business by so-called mafia members, but also the very legit investment of their personal monies into what they felt would be lucrative businesses and industries in order to elevate themselves and that of their blood families for the future.

I view these type of mafiosi as "visionaries" if you will in that although they may also have been knee-deep in illegal rackets like their mob contemporaries, they were astute and sharp enough to take their racket profits and "reinvest" those monies into business.

If you give a good look to some (many actually) of these "sharper" and more business oriented mafia members, you start to see deep patterns of extremely intelligent legit investments. Not only that, but also the successful "operation" of those businesses after they got into them which was no small matter.

Whether they be retail type shops, wholesale companies, manufacturing, or controlling entire segments of commerce, etc., it took plenty of brainpower to accomplish the vast goals they set for themselves.

These type guys were not "hoodlums" per se, or "dese and dose" push-noses. They were basically sharp, ballsy businessmen with a distinct "edge". A Cosa Nostra edge for sure, but an edge nonetheless.

I find THIS aspect of the Italian underworld the most fascinating of all.

Last edited by NYMafia; 10/12/20 06:01 PM.