Originally Posted by Dob_Peppino
@NYmafia
Do you agree with my sentiment that Joe Profaci also had a shaky position as Boss? Or do you believe he had firm control over the underbelly of his Family for a time?

I believe that Profaci had rock solid control over this smaller borgata for nearly 30 years. And until the advent of the Gallo brothers and a few other malcontents, the family ran smooth as silk. His Bensonhurst, Bayridge, Coney Island, Red Hook, Williamsburg base was comprised of men very, very loyal to him. Old-timers (all tough guys) who did his bidding unfailingly.

Was he a cheap guy? Absolutely! But so were other bosses of the era. In fact most other bosses and leaders gave their soldiers shit in the way of compensation. He was heavy handed also in the way of stipends and money his men were required to kick up to him.

His reputation was besmirched with the info that came out during the Gallo-Profaci war as being a miser, cheap, miserable, etc. But Bonanno, Genovese, Mussachio, Aloi, Anastasia, Scalise, etc etc were all the same.

Only Frank Costello and Tommy Lucchese stand out as being very, very generous to their rank and file. Hence the love shown them by their men. Were there other generous guys, a few that I know of. But by and large bosses then, as now, give you ZERO!

Associates, soldiers, and even capos kick up to them. Not the other way around.
----
When my father, cousins, and uncles were active, they each were required to kick in appropriately and steadily to their respective families. The only difference being that generally speaking my family were big earners in their own right, and didn't need a handout, or be put into a racket or business to make a living.

In fact they generally avoided getting involved in rackets and activities with other guys for fear of exposure because of the shear stupidity of others, or fear of getting pulled into a criminal probe. They much preferred to use their "positions" to just augment their own activities. And they kicked up envelopes from afar. Or at least as far as they could stay from the "flame" of the hierarchy which was always under the scrutiny of law enforcement.