Originally Posted by Dob_Peppino
@NYmafia
The ironic thing about Joe Magliocco is, they say in the late 20's/early 30's, he was placed with Joe Profaci to be his "street presence" and really "school" Profaci on the ways of the street. Because Joe Profaci wasn't a true street gangster, it just makes it funny when you call Magliocco a "weak sister". This is why I say the workings of the early era of this Family needs to be examined more.

I believe that in his early life Magliocco was indeed a capable mafioso. And don't think for a second that he "carried" Profaci, because Joe Profaci was in deed a capable mafioso and a cagy one at that. With a family history dating back to Villabate, Sicily, that saw members of his blood family as members of the "Zubbio" who were a network of mafia members who ruled over that village, Profaci was indeed a mafioso through and through. That was one of the reasons why he was not only immediately accepted within Americas mafia community but also almost immediately elevated to a "position".

Magliocco served as Profaci's underboss for 30 years. I'm certain his tenure would never have lasted had he not been a capable man in his own right. But without Profaci's backing, and as he aged into his sixty's, he was no longer the "man" he once was. I also have the feeling that although he may have been a great "second banana" he himself was not boss material. I don't think he was a "thinker". Magliocco was a great follower and executed Profaci's dictates unfailingly. But left to his own devices he wasn't that capable navigating the machinations of mafia life.

He certainly was not up for a "match of wits" against Gambino and Lucchese thats for certain anyway. And I believe he may have leaned on Bonanno for guidance. Bonanno knew these facts and may have steered him accordingly, to Magliocco's own detriment in the end result.