Originally Posted by Turnbull
I don't think Michael would have been any more, or less, ruthless if Appolonia had survived and came with him to America. Ruthlessness is part of being the Don. Michael couldn't give his own brother a pass because it would have been a sign of weakness that his foes (and even those around him like Rocco and Neri) could have exploited.
“Ruthlessness is part of being the Don” indeed The Dons' lives are on the line everyday, kill or be killed

I am not sure Turnbull whilst I appreciate the inference - nobody witnessed Fredo's boathouse outburst The general census was - Roth misled Fredo and Fredo [supposedly!] didn't know they [Roth and Ola] were planing to kill Michael - as told by Michael to Tom at the Desert Inn

Michael could have spared Fredo Besides if Mama had lived longer....

Nobody other than Neri, knew Fredo was on borrowed time, had a Lifeline as long as Mama was alive It looked to Michael's “foes” Fredo had gotten a pass

There was no indication, Michael's “foes” tried to exploit, Fredo getting a pass [however long Mama was alive] as “a sign of weakness”

I doubt Neri would ever exploit or consider Michael weak for giving Fredo, his own - Mickey Mouse night club, brothel running, errand boy – brother, a pass and Rocco [even if Rocco was tempted!] wouldn't dare with Neri around

Besides Michael wasn't a Don then Michael was a 'legitimate' businessman!