One more tidbit that I neglected to highlight in my initial story piece which I think is another valid point to consider.

The fact is that in "The Life" there may well be times when a street guy (made or not), feels he may be up for the "hit parade" by either his own crew, or that of another Family. Conflicts are a relatively common occurrence.

As a made guy if you're "called in" by your boss, you gotta go in. If you do not then for sure you'll be up for the hit parade even if the initial call was not about that. Whether you think your life is in danger or not, you MUST report when, and where, and how your superiors tell you to. If not. then you're a dead man walking!!

But as an "associate", regardless of what standing you may have, even if you were already proposed for formal membership, if you do not "come in" there isn't an automatic death sentence placed against you.

You may get ostracized. You may get chased, or get the "Riot Act" read to you, but thats it!.... and know what? If in fact there was a hit out on you. If you were gonna get clipped or hurt, then you may have just saved your own life by ducking that meeting.

I cannot explain the huge amount of goodfellas who walked into their own death by reporting when they knew damn well they had a potential problem. Likewise, There have been more than a few goodfellas who got clipped for the precise reason (the only reason) that they didn't respond to the boss' call to "come in" when called.

Lots of times the "call" is really to test the soldier about his trust, respect, fear, obedience, abeyance of the rules, etc.... and the hierarchy, the boss, will use that failure to obey as the reason for killing the soldier. Especially if the soldier is on the hierarchy's shit list to begin with for whatever reason.