[quote=NYMafia][quote=NYMafia][quote=Friend_of_Henry]A very close friend of mine refused to be made for decades. Not because he had plenty of "stuff" going on but because he just didn't want the extra heat the Feds would bring.
Near the end of his "career" and because he needed money for a bone marrow transplant, he took the "promotion" got made and never had his much needed transplant.
Hard to believe that every time he got to the head of the line that the Feds moved him back. All he had to do was tell them what they wanted to hear to be move to the front of the line. Needless to say he told them to F**K Off and died a not so pleasant death. For sure Justice is not equal for all especially if you're associated with the Mob.

NYMafia hit the nail on the head:

Because of it as soon as a guy gets made LE knows it. That fact immediately brings much heavier scrutiny on the guys activities and operations. The feds open a new "jacket" on him, and do their very best to form a anti-racketeering profile on him in hopes of nailing him.
------
Agreed. If a guy has his own solid bankroll and earning power. Especially if he is a tough enough guy in his own right and has everyones respect, many have "passed" on being made. Especially in the last few decades. Many years back it was a bit different. One particular guy comes to mind; he was a sharp fella and a huge earner in his own right. The guy was a multimillionaire. He also knew his way around the streets and the life very well, and was a very respected guy. So much so that three crews on three different occasions offered him a button over the years. He ended up turning them down each time. He didn't need the cash. He didn't need them to help him earn. And he was tough enough and savvy enough that he could handle most any situation that came up. He had many made guys as close friends so he always had somewhere to go if he had to (he was also related to a few guys as well). I don't think the fellow did more than a few months in jail during his entire lifetime (I think for a contempt bid, or numbers or something), and he operated for over fifty years. He had a big horse business, shy book, and whatever he did for over the years. There are others like him as well....so it really depends upon the circumstances. "One size doesn't fit all" in this scenario.

Last edited by NYMafia; 09/27/20 05:13 AM.