Depends on the era; in the old days when thousands of associates were knocking on the door trying to get made, having a button really meant something. Having a Genovese or Gambino button meant a whole lot more. You were a big deal. And if you're going to be in business with Machiavellian, murderous thieves, you might as well be "in" as a full member for whatever privileges that bestows rather than on the outside where no rules apply. As an associate you'd have to really stay on top of your business relationships because if you're close to one guy and he gets whacked, shelved or dies of natural causes, you're left twisting in the wind without the guy who was really protecting you.

In my mind, no question at all that up until at least the early '80s, being made was advantageous.

You can't point out guys like Burke or Watts as good examples of "high level associates" - the only reason they were associates is cause they COULDN'T get made. It was the most they could achieve. You don't think those guys would have been made if they had been Italian??

Ever since the '80s though....guys like Michael Persico are probably playing it really smart by not being "official" members.

If I were living in the milieu I certainly wouldn't want a button in most families - all the heat, the requirements, whatever they are, to kick up and play by the rules? Just puts a target on your back now. And less dangerous now to be an associate anyway because most of the time the mob isn't killing anybody now. Worst that happens is you're shelved.

Three families are shadows of what they once were, and as long as producers keep cranking out Gotti movies and documentaries, law enforcement will continue to be obsessed with the Gambino family.

There might still be a good argument for a Genovese button, but I really think that's got to be about it in 2020.