I feel like being called a made man depends on the era. I'd say during the heyday it def carried more weight. To be proposed for membership was a big deal and an honor to those who were involved. Now a days I don't believe it holds the same status. I'm sure the pool of potential members is very poor now a days and watered down.

To me the life has always seemed like a total grind to me. Its a what have you done for me lately life. And thats something they dont depict in movies/shows. Full of deception of treachery.

The benefits of being made was that you had backing. Its an artificially inflated thought process but that's the perception they wanted you to have. Was that if anyone was to mess with you then you were protected, as long as you turn your life over to us. And thats the deficit, letting them control every aspect of your life.

Being an associate was the opposite problem. You didn't have to answer to anyone but when you did you had to make a choice whether or not you were going to fall under the spell of a family or continue to eek it out by yourself and risk total loss.

" If you're going to be bad, be good at it "

Jerry Tillinghast