Originally Posted by BarrettM
How do you think the Colombos and the other Brooklyn borgatas liked Vincent Rotondo and Sam's other boys running Brooklyn regimes? Do you think the Brooklyn DeCavalcantes were sort of a non factor? Maybe they ran rackets that didn't conflict with the Five Families.

Another thought. Sam the Plumber is often thought of as a lackey for much bigger bosses, but perhaps he maneuvered very well given the hand he was dealt. Expanding heavily in to Connecticut, which was open territory, using the little leeway he had in New York to run a small operation there, and most significantly, he was said to have doubled the number of made men in his once small family. Perhaps he was a brilliant boss who did NOT have the benefit of a wide open geographic area. Pittsburgh could stretch its arms in to the Ohio border and in to West Virginia. Bufalino had a small fiefdom no one would impose on. The DeCavalcante family had giants to each side.

Any thoughts? Not my area of expertise.

-------
Hi Barrett, I don't think any of the base NYC crews had a problem with the DeCavalcante NY factions. Guys like Louie Telese, Rudy Farone, Jimmy Rotondo, Angelo and Umberto Gallo and their kids, Frank and Melio Cocchiaro and their kids, the Giacobbe brothers and kids, etc etc.., were all NYC born and bred guys.

They were often best friends with guys in Queens, Brooklyn, etc. went to school with them, played ball as kids with them, etc. In fact Telese and Farone among others actually worked under/with guys who later got hooked up with the Colombo crew and Genovese faction.

So the fact that they tied up with Jersey meant nothing. NJ always had NYC based guys. Nothing new.
---
As far as your perception of Sam DeCavalcante, you may be right in your assessment of him. He was no dope thats for sure. He navigated his Family the best he could considering the small size and reach of them I actually agree with your thinking that Sam did pretty good considering his position.

Last edited by NYMafia; 09/16/20 01:14 PM.