Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
During the first Colombo war, the Profaci faction had the Gallos pindown to where they could hardly leave their hangout. The reason the Profaci faction did not eliminate the Gallos, was because they knew the NYPD were staked out across from the Gallos. Larry was despite since they could hardly go out and earn much, so he knew someone from the old neighborhood that he was a friend to when they were kids, who had became an officer, and was feeding him information which was passed on to the detectives on the Persicos, Scarpa, a few other hitters who were gunning for the Gallos. This gave the Gallos some breathing room, especially when Joe Profaci died. After Joe Colombo became boss the information stopped coming. It is logical that the informant in the Gallo crew was Larry Gallo, since the Gallos and Colombo made peace and Larry was named Capo right before the informant stopped talking.

Giacomo is correct that there are some who feel Larry Gallo was a "source" for the feds (or locals). It was at a time when the Gallo's were on the ropes and in bad shape. Many of their associates had jumped back to the Profaci's.

But I have never read that ANYONE actually knew for sure the Larry WAS a rat, or who his particular connect to law enforcement might have been IF he was a rat. It was only general conjecture. It was known that at least one "source" was in the Gallo camp feeding info on their enemies, and because of the quality of intel, it was speculated that it may have been Larry Gallo.

But again, where did you specifically get your info that "Larry Gallo knew someone from the old neighborhood that was a friend when they were kids, who became an officer, and was feeding him information which was passed on to detectives on the Persico's, etc" as you stated?

As you know, I have done extensive research for exposes on the Profaci, Gallo, and Colombo factions, and I've written very elaborate exposes' on the 3 wars they had. There are few documents or sources that I haven't accessed. Yet I've never come across the precise informant information that you speak of.

If you could tell me where you read it I would be very appreciative, because I'm actually in the middle of writing another expose on informants as we speak. And part of my story deals with Scarpa, and other rats in the Colombo network.

Your "sources" sound astounding to say the least. I could really utilize them in my future articles for sure!

Last edited by NYMafia; 09/12/20 05:27 AM.