Originally Posted by SonnyD
Well first of all he wasn't inducted in to the Genovese until at least 1947 when the books were reopend since they were closed in 1931. Also his regime was relatively small, around a dozen made members at most,as a cursory search on say Mary ferrell will show. He may of course had a larger crew of unmade guys. The information on Moretti is equally misinformed.
Try looking this stuff up yourself.

-------
Sonny, I don't know what you are saying is correct. In fact you obviously didn't read my bio on him closely enough to be able to clearly speak about what I wrote.

Boiardo had a HUGE crew. As I stated over the years many, many future leaders started out under his tutelage (I provided a list). And I don't really care what MF says. They are an excellent source, but they certainly are not the end all on intel regarding the mafia. Also, their info only covers certain time periods. And typically by the late 1960s into the early 1970s if you notice the info stops on MF.

I also stated that after the Castellammarese War many non-Sicilains were brought into the fold. I believe he was brought in early. But what I clearly stated was that by the late 1930s early 1940s he was one of the major POWERS in the Northern New Jersey area. That phrase and paragraph I wrote is 101% percent accurate.

He was a MAJOR POWER. Whether he was indeed "made" in that particular era, or a little later is of little consequence. Because He ruled over a gang of vicious hoodlums (many of whom would indeed go on to become made men), that he was a major force and power regardless of his "official" status. Understand?

But as I also clearly stated, many Calabrese and Napolitani (of which he was one) were brought into the fold later on. But regardless, Boiardo (with or without the button) was such a major force on his own. He ran a large, tough crew. That was a major reason why he was inducted. As I said, if they didn't they would have to "fight him or make him".

What makes you so certain that Boiardo WAS NOT inducted during the 1930s along with Vito Genovese, Costello, Moretti, and the rest?

As you mentioned and I agreed with you, there was a period after the mass "makings" of the 1930s that the books were closed until the 1940s. But what makes you so certain that Richie Boiardo (of all people) was not made during those early years along with other top members?

Please show me the "proof" one way or the other!

I never claimed to know the exact year he was inducted, that is why the story was worded the way I worded it... So really, what you are doing is putting words into my mouth that I never even spoke. Am I correct here?

But I will even play the devils advocate here and say that he very well may have been "made" in the 1930s. Boiardo certainly had enough of a giant mob "footprint" in New Jersey by that time to have well warranted to be "made". So it is extremely possible, and even probable that they pinched his finger back then.

But it's really a matter of semantics if you ask me. Because as I stated earlier he was a Cammorista leader already of his "faction", and the making was more symbolic IMO than anything else. Remember that before entering Cosa Nostra, most of these non-Sicilian fellas were affiliated in one form or another with the Camorra.
---
As years passed, aside from Jerry Catena, Boiardo (in my estimation, backed by much intel I might add) was THE major "capo" in New Jersey for the Genovese crew for many years. And he did inherit many of Moretti's men after Willie was killed. And Moretti did indeed have a huge crew until it was broken up by Vito and dispersed among Vito's loyalists (of which Boiardo was certainly a top one).

PS: In fact, it was said that Moretti had one of the largest regimes of the whole family. A "small army within an army" was how several mafiosi referred to it as. Valachi was one of them if I remember correctly.
---------------
So I just don't understand. Where did I go wrong in my assessment of him? (or his crew for that matter). By all means please elaborate for us. .

Last edited by NYMafia; 09/06/20 09:14 PM.