Originally Posted by Yonkers
Moe Tilden sounds like a person who works for the government. And exactly. Why are you on here? This is a mafia forum. Not a FBI or CIA forum.

Well said Yonkers, and an astute observation by you IMO.

I suspect you are probably right about Moe working for the government. Either that or he's a frustrated "Junior G-Man". Either way I do respect view points on both sides of the issues typically discussed here.

But...and this is a big "but", when you see a poster that is almost maniacal in their defense of the government (or any subject for that matter), and gets downright nasty against those who they view as "supporting" or defending wiseguys, and they then denigrate both the poster and the subject at hand, then something is usually very wrong.

As you clearly noted, GBB is a site and discussion forum dedicated to organized crime, and the Italian mafia in particular. If a poster has that much hatred for "The Life", the mafia, or wiseguys in general, why in the heck would they devote so much time visiting this forum daily, reading as many stories as they can get their hands on, gathering photos and data, etc??

I would think they would be turned "off" to ALL things mafia as well as discussions related to same, no??

Take me for instance. I enjoy reading about "The Life", gaining more knowledge than I already have, discussing with my contemporaries various viewpoints, checking out unique photos of mafia members I enjoy following, etc. It was also the main catalyst for me and Lisa to create "Button Guys of the New York Mafia" website and the litany of stories I write for the site. Clearly any reader can tell of my interest and dedication to the subject matter at hand. I only hope that I do justice to the subject matter I choose to write about. To give a full and accurate historical account.

I also readily admit that I "am" a fan of several "old timers' such as a Frank Costello, Tommy Lucchese, among many others that I think were near geniuses and lived very interesting lives. I truly believe that many (not all, but many) of these mafiosi could, and would have made it big in the "legitimate world" if they'd grown up in a different era and not into poverty, which encouraged them to go into "crime" so to speak in order to elevate their lives and their family brood.

So I for one, am a "fan" for lack of a better word. I don't consider myself a "mob groupie", but rather view myself as a "Mob Historian". I truly enjoy researching and then putting my research into what I believe is a proper context.

I would think a "Moe Tilden", if not a researcher per se, was also a "fan" of sorts of OC. Almost like a collector of baseball cards or a keeper of "batting stats" etc of the players. But if he absolutely HATED baseball and its players, why in the heck would he follow it so intently?

It almost defies logic in a sense. No?
--------------------------------------------------
PS: Anyway, the only reason why I responded to this discussion was because several days back Moe got very nasty and personal with my partner about her viewpoint on Steve Crea's case. I just felt regardless of his personal opinion and position on Crea, there was no reason to stoop to name calling and insults. And I later posted a message to him regarding that.

At the end of the day we are all just "posters' here and wanna be entertained and have some fun. Am I correct? These discussions don't pay anyones mortgage or electricity bill, and no one is attacking one's family, etc. So I just ask that all of us try and conduct ourselves (me included), in a nice way towards one another. It will certainly make for a better experience of GBB for all.

We can "agree to disagree" on subjects that we don't see eye to eye on. It is the gentlemanly, and civil thing to do.