My take, for what it is worth!

Sure thing Turnbull Roth's risky gamble [wonder whether Michael even questioned the obvious!] paid off but only temporarily though

Michael was also blind to as to why Roth, part owner with the old Lakeville Road group from Cleveland, would “go along with” Michael moving Klingman out and taking over their hotel

It seems to me Roth cultivates his business and his business partners, establishing relationships, even celebrating his birthday with them

It would have taken time [since the 20's] and effort cultivating the Havana empire befriending, bribing Batista and the like, bringing in investors, being fair not cheating them and always making money for his partners

Roth had Michael completely relaxed and confident, in their father / son alliance! their friendship even more so, after Ola's assurance that Roth will go along with Michael moving Klingman out which Michael greatly appreciated

Whilst Coppola can't kill Michael off [yet!] I do believe if Roth had waited until Havana to murder Michael ie: no Tahoe shooting, Roth would have succeeded, rivalling the Baptism murders!

Whilst Michael's $2 million would have been a bonus if Michael had died, in the Tahoe shooting, the $2 million is a non-factor