The first season was somewhere between a little corny and "OK" - but that's good by Canadian production standards. Anthony LaPaglia was a pretty decent Vito Rizzuto and the Kim Coates character was a good composite to address the character of Raynald Desjardins for a TV script. The story was a little hackneyed and covered no "new ground" in the mob genre the way the Sopranos did so well, but it was relatively faithful to the general unfolding of true events. And I'm not really drawing a comparison; just to be clear, comparing the two series' is like comparing the performance of a Chevy Volt to a Lamborghini Diablo.

The sub plot with the Mistress and the girlfriend was a total waste of time in order to interject some sexy women. A better writer wanting to include women in the story, I think, would have used that time to create characters around Vito's mafia royalty mother or his accomplished daughter. Likewise, it squandered the ending, I think, precisely because they wanted to leave their options open for a second season. Had they wanted to make a better one-season classic they could have easily ended it in a true dramatic, tragic style more like the Sopranos and that would have redeemed a lot of what was imperfect about it.

The second season was utterly unwatchable. Frankly, just terrible. I think I made it through 2-3 episodes. It was too bad to continue watching.

Last edited by eastsideofvan; 08/19/20 12:40 PM.