I know it is an unconventional thought, and not typically done. But do you think it's in the realm of possibilities that Sonny WAS the underboss, and yet maintained a full "Regime" under him? And that Little Joey Brancato served as his "acting capo" for years? and Mimi and others also served in that slot as needed?

It has been very well documented by the VERY SAME informers and FBI you quote that Joe Colombo (although boss), kept his very "OWN REGIME" of over 15 good fellows and many, many top associates at the very same time he was the family leader?? Bosses don't typically do that!

Of course that could be (and IMO WAS the case with Sonny as well). Although Sonny changed hats several times, he was smart enough, and respected enough, to be allowed to keep his personal "crew" on the side. This was done twofold. For his personal earning power. as well as the "Strength" he provided Colombo against any possible insurrections in the family to Colombo's power. That is why BOTH Colombo and Franzese maintained their own personal "armies",

And one more thing while we are at it. And this is FACT, not conjecture on my part.

It has been well documented by both local rackets squads and the FBI that Sonny ALWAYS maintained another "personal crew" "on the side" of his top personal men who did his bidding. NOT necessarily "made", but as good if not better than made guys who had allegiance to Sonny and Sonny alone.

So much so that good fellows from all the families knew this, Persico knew this, Colombo knew this, etc etc. He was extra feared because of it. Franzese was one of the most unconventional mafioso who ever lived.

His personal "guard" so to speak and devout followers that numbered in the dozens. Franzese ran what amounted to a "Family within a Family"....fact! I'm talking in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s era. They were "recognized and afforded the respect of good fellows" yet, were NOT beholden to the hierarchy per se.

Preposterous you say? Never could happen you say?.... think again! If you can imagine it, it could happen. and it did in his case!

He was SOOO respected that he was never challenged for it.

PS: if you haven't already do so. Please visit my website and tap into my extensive personal biography on John (Sonny) Franzese under the Colombo Family link. Read the whole thing. But especially the list of his personal regime and "associates" crew. Massive!!

Last edited by NYMafia; 08/12/20 11:13 AM.