Originally Posted by chin_gigante
According to Scarpa, Mineo became underboss in 1964 at the same time that Colombo became the boss. When the captains were told to poll their soldiers on what they thought, they were asked specifically about having Colombo as boss and Mineo as the underboss. They were both approved and installed at the same time. Mineo was then consistently referred to as the underboss throughout the rest of Colombo's reign and was still the underboss at the time that Colombo was shot.

I don't know where the misinformation about Franzese being the underboss in the 1960s comes from. I know Michael Franzese has said it but I don't know whether he was the original source for that or not. Scarpa was consistent in his description of Mineo as the underboss and he was in a very strong position to know, considering that he (Scarpa) reported direct to Colombo up until he was incapacitated.

Could be something like the Bonanno family in the 1960s when some sources incorrectly identified Galante as underboss when we know from Joe Bonanno, Bill Bonanno and other contemporary sources within the family in the 1960s that Frank Garofalo and then John Morales were the underbosses with no one else in between them.

Chin, the "underboss" position was established as the "buffer" and runner so to speak for the boss. He interacts with all skippers and other tops members. In both their own family and the other 4 crews. Mineo was a "sleeper" nearly his whole life. Many guys didn't even know who he was.

He only came to light after Colombo got shot. Underbosses are usually VERY well known and out there on the street. IMO - that factor alone debunks any thought that Mineo was the underboss of a very high profile family like the Colombos.

As far as Scarpa goes. Even though he did provide much good intel about the workings of the family, Scarpa was a bullshitter and liar to the hilt. Who said things (or not) according to what he felt benefitted him.

Again Mineo IMO was always just a soldato. Another perfect example was Tommy DiBella. He was ONLY a soldier for many decades. Another sleeper little known to the public. DiBella only became a household word after he was elevated to the acting boss roll during turmoil in the 1970s. Then LE found out about him and he was well publicized.

If Mineo had been in that position for years he would have been exposed long before he was. In fact I actually believe Mineo went into the "consigliere" senior-advisor role because he was so low key. Perfect spot for him.

He was elderly if I remember correctly. The UB role is usually an active spot.

No way to know 100%. and for sure the Colombo's played a lot of musical chairs in that era, but thats my take on it.