Salvatore (Charlie Lemons) Mineo was only the underboss (or consigliere) for a very short duration during the transition after Joe Colombo was shot. He was an old man who was ALWAYS only a soldier. He was never even a Capo. I don't think Charlie was there for even 6 months/1 year tops.

Sonny was elevated by Joe Colombo in 1964-65 shortly after Joe became the boss of the entire crew. They were very close and Sonny was his whip.

Franzese served in that position for several years until the "heat" generated by his multiple cases and the 24/7 surveillance made his operating and functioning too difficult for the borgata.

But even as a "capo" he was SO well respected, especially as he aged, that he was ALWAYS thought of as a 'BOSS" not even an underboss if that makes any sense to you. ALL made guys in NYC and thoughtout the country afforded him a respect given to few.

Even when Junior knocked him down to a "soldier" status. A position many don't realize Sonny held for years, Most who interacted with him still gave him a respect way above that of a normal soldier.

And of course he got his next go around in the early 2000's. To be again named UB at that age shows how much Junior needed Sonny's expertise and "legend" status to help bolster the troops one again and amalgamate everyone under the Persico umbrella. In truth Persico feared Sonny's "star status" is probably the best way I can put it. So even as a capo Persico did his best to kinda hold Sonny down. **Read my BIO on him or my "Franzese Regime of LI and Brooklyn" expose for a better understanding of what went on with all of this.

I don't even think its really debatable. John (Sonny) Franzese was in a category all his own. In my book, he was ALWAYS the boss!