Cerignola, assault on a security van on the A14: gunfire and burning cars, road blocked
The ambush in Foggia in the direction of Bari. The bandits set fire to some means to block the motorway and prevent the arrival of the police forces

by TATIANA BELLIZZI
August 10, 2020
FOGGIA - A paramilitary action that lasted a few seconds. Vehicles on fire positioned across the carriageway to block traffic. This is what happened in the afternoon along the A14, in the stretch between Cerignola and Canosa di Puglia, heading south towards Bari.

"There is a column of black smoke visible from a distance - a motorist who has been stuck for more than an hour on the highway will say ": 40, 50 cars blocked. "I saw a bandit come out of a car with a shotgun, at which point I put into reverse and ran away," another driver will say.

The reconstruction is under the attention of the agents of the Cerignola police station. It is 5.15 pm sharp when the robbers come into action. Target a security firm from the security firm IVRI. A commando consisting of at least 8 bandits - the agents rebuild. They blocked the traffic, setting fire to the three cars put across and knocked nails to the ground in the opposite lane heading north. On board the armored car there were three security guards still in shock.

The commando fired several shots, most likely with Kalashnikov rifles. "It seemed to me that a robber threw a paper bomb in the armored car" - reconstructs a witness. But something in the action went wrong. The commandos failed to carry out the assault. At that point they crossed the central reservation, crossed the opposite carriageway.

They fled and lost their tracks in the surrounding countryside. The highway was closed in both directions.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"