Another very successful top guy was Paolo Gambino. He is often overlooked because of his more famous brother Carlo. And thats exactly as he wanted it.

He owned the Blue Star Markets in Flushing, Queens. He also owned Ferro Foods Inc., which was a large Brooklyn based supplier of Italian styled foods to pizzerias and Italian restaurants. He owned several other meat markets in The Bronx and Brooklyn, and was partnered in other ventures through the years.

Paolo had made millions bootlegging alcohol during Prohibition. Even after the repeal in 1931 he continued to operate alcohol stills well into the 1940s and 1950s. During WWII the Gambino brothers became two of the biggest handlers of "stolen gas ration stamps" in the NY/NJ area. Paolo also headed a major "narcotics and alien smuggling" ring for many years.

He was a top "skipper" under during his brothers run at the top. He ran his own crew for over 20 years which had a lot of Italian nationals who were also cut from this low key quiet mold. Many were international heroin merchants. Furture capo and top international narcotics trafficker Pasquale Conte was one of his soldiers. That gives you a little idea of his power.

I don't think he even served 1 day in jail. If he did it was a very short bit(maybe during prohibition)....VERY low key. A real zip!

He was subpeaoned several times before grand juries but thats about as far as it went I believe. He was accused once of monopolizing the "knife sharpening" business in NYC and later sold the firm to the knife sharpening "association" for $177,000. They all chipped in just to get rid of him. The assets purchased? about $800 worth of old dull knives and a broken down truck. Lol

He was a very sharp guy that is not given credit for his position and the moves he made. Mostly because his moves never really came to light!.... now for me THATS a wiseguy!!

He was Carlo's confidante all his life. Paul Gambino was what's called "a sleeper" in the truest sense. He later became known but really flew under the radar all his life.