The most important and controversial politician of Colombia's last twenty years is under house arrest. Alvaro Uribe, the president of the "iron fist" who between 2002 and 2010 led (and won with violence) the battle against the guerrillas , supporter of the "no" to the 2016 peace agreement with the FARC (later adopted ) and mentor of the current president Ivan Duque, has been confined to his home since yesterday at the behest of the Colombian Supreme Court: according to magistrates Uribe could "obstruct justice" while they investigate to prove the allegations that the former president has bribed potential witnesses in a case against him in 2014.

According to the section of the Supreme Court that investigates the members of parliament and therefore on him, Uribe is guilty of "manipulation of witnesses and procedural fraud". The case dates back to six years ago: left-wing Senator Ivan Cepeda accused Uribe and his brother Santiago (under arrest since 2016) of having ties to paramilitaries and drug traffickers and to have participated in the founding of a guerrilla movement, the Bloque Metro , which then clashed with the FARC, causing thousands of victims.

Uribe denies any accusation and on Twitter says that "the deprivation of my freedom causes me deep sadness for my wife, my family and for the Colombians who still believe that I have done something good for the country".

There are still many supporters of Uribism, the right-wing liberal and populist movement that changed Colombian politics by launching a ruthless war against the FARC and the National Liberation Army, giving ample power to the military - including killing thousands of alleged guerrillas who were in innocent civilian realities, giving rise in 2008 to the scandal of so-called "false positives" - in order to restore order in the country. His successor Juan Manuel Santos then distanced himself from Uribe, who has regained great influence since the election of his dauphin Ivan Duque in 2018.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"