I'd say the Profaci Family and Bonanno Family were close in legitimate assets, wide far-flung multimillion dollar enterprises, and street rackets alike. Profaci was a master. And both Joes were "compare" ...those 2 families were so intrenched in legitimate industry its not even funny. If you read my bios on Profaci and Bonanno it'll bear out what I'm saying.

In order of $$ generated. IMO:
#1 Luciano/Genovese
#2 Gagliano/Lucchese ....Tied... Mangano/Anastasia
#3 Profaci .....Tied .... Bonanno

Note: even though Lucchese was by far the seamiest crew in NYC, it was also ALWAYS known as a money crew: political influence, connections, labor unions, heroin, policy, crap games, garment industry control, construction, shylock,...at one time they were the most cohesive and wealthiest crew (pound for pound) against anybody. TODAY? no

But overall then, as today, the Luciano/Genovese were strong! Remember that Lucky was THE MAN. and his crew (the old Masseria borgata) was nationally influential.

Thats where I'd bet my money if I were to stake a bet

In fairness, ALL the crews were in great shape. The WORST Family back then is still heads and shoulders above ANY family today. THAT WAS WHEN THEY RULED NYC WITH AN IRON FIST! .....

Last edited by NYMafia; 07/28/20 02:24 PM.