I agree with you. In fact I find all the old timers in all 6 NY/NJ Families as well as across the country the most interesting.

The Bonanno's in particular were always the MOST clannish and tight-knit as far as that goes. The Castellammarese in particular were closed mouthed and low key. VERY quiet dressers, and surreptitious in their associations even with other Sicilians not of Trapanese origins. My family and I are from Castellammare del Golfo. We are a very tight-knit close people, even by Italian standards.

Several direct members of my immediate family were with the Castellammarese crew dating back all the way to the 1920s forward in Sicily. So this is a subject very near and dear to me. They immigrated to America and continued here....it is a rich mafiosi history.

Since you seem very interested in the Bonanno Family, I suggest you visit my website ButtonGuys, and click into our "Friends of Ours" link. It is a series of intricate exposes I've put together about certain regimes, crews, and Families. I have created over 25 such exposes cutting a line through the U.S.

But I created a very extensive history on not only the Bonanno's, but much further back to our origins in Sicily. I tried to explain the Castellammrese mafioso mindset.

It is named the "Castellammare del Golfo Cosca"...... I think you might really enjoy this story ok.

Please visit and read what I wrote. I'd be interested for your thoughts afterwards ok my friend.