I have to agree with you there. Jimmy Brown started out close to Carlo Gambino. So much so that JB was Carlo's personal driver-bodyguard and confidante for many years.

He was there daily with Carlo to "see and hear" nearly all that went on. As you said, he was later elevated and controlled the entire NYC carting industry for that crew for decades.

A very well respected guy. But pmac is correct too in that JB later took a big Rico pinch and went down for what, 10-15 years in the can? NOT a great ending to an otherwise low key and successful mob career.

***Another point that pmac makes that I'd have to wholeheartedly agree with is that many, if not most "low key", under the radar mafiosi who make millions and avoid jail are usually virtual "unknowns" to the public, LE, and forums such as this one. Or in the alternative, may be known but largely stay out of the limelight, especially after they reach a certain financial level of success and a "station" in the mob as a "made" guy.

They DON'T want a higher position or to be elevated to a capo post or higher. They well know that it's a death kneel. Better to make the cash and stay out of the limelight (which in turn usually keeps them out of jail as well)....... An astute observation pmac.

My compliments!