And I agree with you both. Most Italians today have moved up in their "social strata". And as Majicrat astutely observed, have moved to the suburbs and are solidly middle to upper class in both education and financial status.

NO more social clubs, very little hunger to survive, a cushy and comfortable lifestyle.... etc etc.

It spells the death kneel for Cosa Nostra down the road. It's happening now.

Those factors coupled with law enforcements high technology today doesn't allow for the wide open, far flung racketeering of even several decades ago...Finito! It's over!

Yet, there are many mafiosi who are very "white-collar" in their operations today. Sophisticated rackets and legitimate activities that earn large. Many are not even "illegal" in that sense. They've invested racket profits they've earned through the years, or that of the fathers and grandfathers.

WTF would they risk themselves, or even bother with street rackets at all if they don't need to?

But also don't misunderstand like many people do, that if the guy is not flipping a quarter while hanging out on a street corner in East Harlem or Brooklyn while booking a bet or shying a loan, that he's NOT a wiseguy or mafioso.

He may very well be a solid guy. A wiseguy all the way! He's just not a "dese and dose" blue collar racket guy like the image that most people have in their heads of a mobster.

THAT is the way I see Cosa Nostra going in the future.

IMO there will always be a Mafia, Cosa Nostra, Onorata Societa, or however you'd like to refer to it as. It will just morph into an entity that is unrecognizable as we now know it. And I do think that a certain segment of the organization will always indulge in criminality. Major narcotics smuggling. Big monetary schemes, scams, etc Gambling is its not legalized nationwide, etc.

Maybe not the bulk of the Families, but a segment. They may condense in size. In fact I'm sure they will. It's happening now....but IMO they'll go on.

Let's face it. The Mafia is an ancient entity or organization..... been around hundreds of years. I don't see them dissipating any time soon.

It will just be a lot different than they've been..... I believe they are good Chameleons, and will change color and shape if needed to continue on.