@MightyDR
I agree both sides instigated the situation in one form or another. It is my opinion (generally as a purist in any regard) I have to go off what I believe the original intentions of creating the Commission, and especially because Luchesse was the only NY boss to benefit from a peaceful transition of power, that he orchestrated alot of this ( and it is apart of the life) this scenario with the jealous Magaddino. The Commission should not have been involved in the Magliocco situation (which precipitated this) or Bonanno either (although they helped create some of the problem in Brooklyn behind the scenes). Only Magaddino had a legit beef over the Canada territory, the others in NY just took advantage.

Joe B had every right to expand his realm especially since they were generally open towns. As far as California, it didn't directly affect NY and they also stuck their noses on other Families business for Gain (i.e. Don Carlo helping Angelo Bruno become Boss).

It also proves the point of autonomy because Joe Bonanno would not cooperate with the other Families against his own interests and after his removal, the Commission didn't welcome the New Bonanno Family in the mix (unions, construction etc). Because when they lost Joe B., they lost the majority of the legit businesses, few unions and political/international connections he brought to the table. Thats why I say it was really the rebel side (Sciacca, Rastelli) that lost as much as they gained. They were fighting to get out from under Joe B's greed and "ambition" and ended up subjected to the greed and ambitions of other Families.

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano