Originally Posted by Evita
Originally Posted by Lana
“Vito was “straightlaced about sex” and “would consider such cavorting by his son Freddie, two girls at a time, as degeneracy." Vito also knew Sonny had goumars
Vito was “displeased” but did nothing, yet Vito is the family man! Go Figure!!

I think it is fleshed out in the book that he was dismissive of Fredo something like why? Mama can do the cooking when Tom asked should they bring the only son home after Sonny's death and Michael in hiding

I think Vito was an "ethical relativist." Though he was "straightlaced," he recognized that it was in men's nature to philander. That was ok, as long as they remained "good family men." The revealing passage in the novel comes at Connie's wedding, when Vito counsels Johnny Fontaine:

Johnny says he can't marry his first wife again: "Beautiful broads run after me and I never could resist them."
Vito, exasperated, replies, "I didn't tell you to get married again. Do what you want. Who says you can't see [your children] every day? Who says you can't live in the same house? Who says you can't live your live exactly as you want to live it?" [emphasis added.]

I think Fredo banging cocktail waitresses two at a time crossed Vito's "ethical relativist" boundary. His remark about "Mama can cook our meals" meant that he thought Fredo was unmanly--not only because of sexual excess, but probably because he let Moe slap him around and because he was apprenticing as a hotel manager instead of being involved with the family business--possibly even for failing to prevent Vito from being shot and having a nervous breakdown afterward.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.