Something interesting I thought about this time period. If you look at the time frame within the Bonanno Family, I think Joe had genuine intentions on "retiring" around the late 50s because he would have Galante as the Boss in New York but he got sent to prison. It was always his intention to choose the next regime in his family. But only person in New York who understood the power in a peaceful transition was Tommy Lucchese, The puppetmaster.

The old Genovese family had too many volatile powerhouse's for things to be peaceful. The Gambinos were two bloodline families involved with a dangerous gang leader. These two always had problems. The Colombos were a bunch of street gangs from the same place ran by a bloodline family from Sicily, similar dynamic in the Bonannos. The only boss who prospered by achieving peaceful/organized transfer of regime was Tom Gagliano to Tommy Lucchese. Lucchese had to prevent both Joe Profaci and Joe Bonanno from this. I think it was always Joe's intention to hold on to power long enough to get Galante back into the equation. I even think that Bill Bonanno would've been a proxy until Galante was released from Prison. All roads lead to preventing Bonanno and Gaante from having power in the future because neither could be told what to do or easily with. And in the future why would the Gambinos/Luccheses care if the if Brooklyn has internal problems? More money for them. Could you imagine if Bonanno was able to choose the succeeding regime how powerful they could have been without going to war?
Certainly couldn't have been less eventful then Di Gregorio lol Sciacca, Evola and Rastelli lol. We give Bill Bonanno a lot of crap but could he really have been any worse?

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano