Franzese did not plot to kill Colombo as far I can tell. He undermined Colombos orders not to get involved in the Genovese crime family affairs, but he committed or ordered two members associated with the Genovese crime family to be killed as a favor to Tommy Eboli or another top Genovese member. During the Bonanno war of the 1960s, he was talking to both factions which was the right thing to do to try and bring peace to the family, Colombo felt he was getting to close to the Bonanno faction and ordered him to stop. He had no respect for Bill Bonanno, but for Joe Notaro and Peter Magaddino. He did obey that order to an extent, but he was still seeing members of the Bonanno crime family but coincidence so to speak. Him going to prison most likely saved him cause Colombo was fearful and did not completely trust Sonny. LoCicero was in the same boat and was killed by Carmine Persico and Greg Scarpa.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green