Originally Posted by CabriniGreen
Originally Posted by Machin1
You can't miss reading:

https://www.cosanostranews.com/2020/06/latest-developments-of-ndrangheta.html

"... in-depth analysis of the ‘Ndrangheta in the Greater Toronto Area ..."

Great articles my man! I enjoyed both, they were very informative.

A couple questions if you feel like responding...

1. To which Locale does DiMaria owe allegience/ in command?

2. For that matter, how about Tavernese?

3. I know the Rizzutos were friendly with the Aquino- Colluccio- Bruzzese group, were they hostile towards DiMaria? The Commisos?

4. How do you think the relationship between the Rizxutos and the Colluccios affected the balance of power in the Camera Di Controllo?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...!! Hope there are more articles coming!

To which Tavernese are you referring? To the Vincenzo Tavernese named in the Operazione Il Crimine arrest warrants, vol. 3?

The year of birth stated for the Vincenzo Tavernese named in those arrest warrants is 1966, which appears to have been a typo -- the correct year of birth is 1955. This Vincenzo Tavernese was born in Marina di Gioioisa Ionica.

Then you have the Vincenzo Tavernese born 1950 in Siderno.

The aforementioned vol. 3 didn't explain the structure of the GTA Siderno Group in terms of place of birth in Calabria but, rather, in terms of alliances and axes of power that were made up of individuals descending from different parts of Calabria. The authority of these higher-ups -- Carmelo Bruzzese of Grotteria and Carmine Verduci of Oppido Mamertina, for example -- seems to have superseded that of the seven 'ndrina leaders who made up la commissione, or la camera di controllo, but important to note is that individual leaders such as Tavernese were allied with certain higher-ups.

The book Business or Blood... insinuated that Antonio Coluccio was behind a move against the Montreal Mafia. I'd suggest that there isn't enough evidence to make that a strong theory. What is clear to me -- perhaps to other posters who read that book? -- is that Montreal Mafia leaders were not afraid to go to the Toronto area to raise the issue of Sam Calautti's substantial longstanding gambling debt to the Montrealers, which Coluccio paid on his behalf.

Carmelo Bruzzese, the father-in-law of Antonio, appeared to be an important part of the Rizzuto organization (as distinct from the Montreal Mafia). Although Bruzzese was acquitted in Italy of being made into Cosa Nostra, there are still those who believe he was made into the Rizzuto organization.

Antonio and his two brothers are said to be related to the Commissos in the GTA who descend from Marina di Gioiosa Ionica. A first cousin of Vito Rizzuto's wife is Facebook friends with the wife of Cosimo Commisso of Thornhill. While in the GTA, Antonio was very close to Sicilian drug trafficker Ignazio Genua (son of Nicola) and to members of the Caruana-Cuntrera clan. When Giuseppe Coluccio fled to Canada in 2005, he travelled through and stayed in Quebec -- briefly? for a while? under the protection of Agostino Cuntrera? under that of the Montreal Mafia leaders?

Nick Rizzuto Sr. was a friend of Cosimo Commisso for at least 35 years, if not longer. Rizzuto Sr. spent time living in Toronto in 1987–88, and although Cosimo and brother Remo were in prison at the time, Rizzuto would not have been a stranger to the 'ndrangheta members in the GTA. Peter Scarcella was always close to Remo, and both Vito Rizzuto and Nick Sr. were close to Scarcella.

Always remember that, in 1998, the Commissos were a key ally in the Montreal Mafia's plan to increase its influence in Ontario.

Police intelligence regarding organized-crime groups and members of organized crime is often wrong. Who told the cops that Vito Rizzuto had a hit list of a half-dozen members of the Commissos in Ontario? What if the intelligence gathered was wrong? What if the informant got it really wrong?

Verduci did meet in his home north of Toronto with individuals from Quebec who were hostile to the Montreal Mafia leadership, likely hostile to Vito Rizzuto himself. But was Verduci representing the entire camera di controllo? Or was he trying to figure out what to do with his criminal career, given that an 'ndrangheta expert like Anna Sergi believes Verduci was being ousted from the GTA by his fellow 'ndranghetisti because of his friction with them?

I do think that some members of the camera di controllo resented Vito Rizzuto's power and influence in the GTA and elsewhere in the province, but to start killing one another over whether to maintain ties with him? This I doubt but cannot prove. No, I think that the GTA Siderno Group has had such internal dissent since at least 2008 that there was no time to intensely debate how much business to keep doing with the Montreal Mafia.

Last edited by antimafia; 06/15/20 08:21 PM.