Originally Posted by Dob_Peppino
@Giacomo
Slightly off top but if anyone know you probably do.
Bill Bonanno states in his book the former boxing champion Tony Canzoneri was a member of the Bonannos.
I can't find anything regarding this besides a photo. If true, was it in a "honorary" type status, was he blood related in some way and did he have any rackets???

secondly, Was Tony Bennett connected to the Bonannos(similar to Sinatra) in some way?

Canzoneri was an enforcer, he gave out beatdown for guys who welched on bets, didn't pay the vig. Canzoneri hanged around a lot of mobsters, he was close to the Bonventre family. Be boxed under a different name and took dives in his teens. There are two stories of how he was made and both involved him being well liked and made in the late 1940s. The first one is that he got into an arguement with a made member that wanted him dead as he supposedly knocked out an associate at a club. The second one story is the one I give more credence to is that he walked in on a body being moved after being killed. Instead of killing Canzoneri for witnessing the crime, they watched over him for a whole night, then in the morning they said everything is alright, after a few days he was made into the Bonanno. I dont believe Canzoneri ever killed anyone.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green