The reason Bonanno did not get much support from Sicily can be attributed to Stefano Magaddino, Gaetano Lucchese, and Carlo Gambino. They too had connections to Sicily, but it was Magaddino telling CDG what Joe was up to. Four of Joe's people were locked up, two members passed away, and others had retired to Sicily or Italy and could not communicate with them. Magaddino family were still the head of CDG during this time period, so naturally they sided with Stefano. The other sicilian members were told by Sicily that the Bonanno family was a United States affair and as long as it did not interfere with their operations they were not concerned.

There were two Buccellatos that were associated with the Bonanno family, the most famous is Joe Buccellato who became a Capo after the reorganizing of the family, eventually becoming acting Consigliere when Angelo Spero was locked up. There were actually 6 or 7 of them in NYC area but only two were with the Bonanno family and the rest were with Sicily. That fued was long ago and Felice, Joe different one, and Salvatore Buccellato was killed. If there really was still a grudge they would have made their move during the 1930s and 1940s. For some reason I am under the impression that you assume that the zips went into the DiGregorio faction, but the truth is that they were in both factions and most stayed on the sidelines to maintain operations with the Sicilian families that they were in business with. If one of the zips who sided with DiGregorio is to be a traitor then it would have to be Licata.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green