1. They did have a peaceful relationship, but Lucchese was frustrated a few time as he felt Gagliano was holding the family back. Lucchese actually welded more power on the streets, but Gagliano had strong connections to Sicily. They had disagreements, but ultimately Lucchese had a lot of patience. I dont ever believe Lucchese would bump off Gagliano, since Gagliano was a mentor to Lucchese, and Gagliano also had strong connections to Tampa, Birmingham, New Orleans, Los Angeles, and a few other families which helped the Lucchese family significantly.

2. His arrogance in old time tradition, and could not adapt to the times. His true arrogance was Tucson after the Appalachian meeting happened as I posted above what Chicago said. He was overseer of San Francisco, San Jose so he maintained a small crew there with Frank Garofalo being the point of contact for the families there, through Joe Venza first, then an unidentified Capo, but it was really Nick Guastella who maintained communication between all three families in the bay area. If you look at where he placed his members excluding those retired and moved to live with family members, you can see they were open territories, places he represented the familes on the commission, or places that no one had anything going so he asked for that family to operate in their territory. He did not go through the commission members that represented said family, which ticked them off cause they wanted to in the loop instead of hearing from said family. Ultimate goal I would have to say is money plus keeping eyes and ears in the areas. Many think he wanted to control the mob, but that is a foolish move, and he had done some foolish moves as boss the big one was spending more time in Arizona and traveling around the world instead of being in the NYC area, but he would never had been foolish to try and control the entire mafia.

3. Yes and no. Not solely Magaddino himself but members of Buffalo, and DiGregorio had bumped into Joe Lucchese many of times. This was all before Appalachian so a lot of members socialized a lot had seen each other at event, weddings, funerals, restaurants, or clubs. Garment business keeps coming up, there was also gambling establishments, book, unions, I mean the list goes on.

4. Yes. Gambino had a large family but nowhere near the power and connections that Lucchese had. As I mentioned Los Angeles above, that really damaged the relationship Bonanno and Lucchese had, it started before that with the Trafficante incident, but when Magaddino started with the accusations and saying his cousin was trying to become number one, that pissed off Lucchese. When Joe Bonanno was summoned appears before the commission, he did not show that made Lucchese planning helping Gambino and Magaddino to find replacements in the Bonanno family for the boss position. Gambino was supposed to tell Bonanno to show but didn't, then Tommy Eboli asked Sam Decavalcante to give Bonanno the message, and finally they wanted Bill Bonanno, Frank LaBruzzo, and Joe Notaro to come in and they refused, but did meet with Sam Decavalcante, Joe Zerilli, and one more boss who's name escapes me.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green