Planting flags statement had a few people saying that. In most cases you can find the cheese factories he had part ownership in connected with this assessment. Stefano Magaddino is the first to say that, after Cotroni in Montreal made a half a dozen guys up there after Galante left. Magaddino and Bonanno actually had people there together. It was peaceful until Magaddino found out how much money Carmine Galante was making in the narcotic pipeline up there. Then finds out Bonanno is interested in buying a cheese factory in Canada. Magaddino knew Bonanno was going to try using it to smuggle his narcotics, money laundering or both. Magaddino considered Greater Toronto Area all the way to Montreal his back yard and territory. Chicago said it cause a high up in the outfit relayed a message that Joe Bonanno made it mandatory that any member had to get permission if they plan on moving or doing business in Tucson AZ by him. Chicago considered Arizona open territory no matter what. They had a problem when Joe went in partnership in a cheese factory in Wisconsin and did not seek their permission as they felt he should have came to them first, but Alito spoke up for Bonanno saying he sought permission from Milwaukee and they gave it. The Trafficante is a bit murky, but in a nutshell comes down to Bonanno soldier Vincenzo Tarantola who was living in Cuba during the 1950s and overseen Bonanno family operations in Cuba and the DR for Joe Bonanno and Vic Cotroni in Montreal. Trafficante consider both places his and was mad that Joe was not sending a cut to him. As I said Trafficante and Bonanno is a bit murky, but that is as far clear water can reveal.
Joe Zerilli was neutral during the Bonanno conflict but did favor Joe Bonanno, but did not make it public so as not alienate some of his top people, or make an enemy of Tommy Lucchese.
The reason Gambino and Lucchese did not forge an alliance with Bonanno is cause they felt he was too old school with his line of thinking for them, and was not known to include them in Garment deals or pool his resources with theirs to help bribe officials in the business. Lucchese did have a short alliance with Joe Bonanno, but realized he was just like Gagliano and Mangano, so started to break off that. It did not fully disseminate until there was allegation that Joe Bonanno tried to have Frank DeSimone killed and him supporting Joe Profaci to remain as boss of his family. It was finally the allegation of him ordering Gambino and Lucchese to he killed that broke the camel's back.
With Magaddino and DiGregorio, it was that Magaddino felt his cousin was pulling away from the old group ever since Mangano was killed and was branching into other areas in making lots of money, excluding Magaddino, but including Joe Profaci whenever he could. DiGregorio part of it was narcotics, another was that Bonanno asked the older brother Tony to meditate a dispute between old members of the Bonanno family and Barbara family since he lived close by and knew the story better than New York City, Gaspare was offended by this for some reason, and a another was that by 1959 he was arguing with the Bonanno leadership a lot more than usual as he was spending more time with Magaddino. Finally when he was not elected for Consigliere, Magaddino advised him to revolt, so he stopped going to family meetings and was eventually kicked out even though Tony told Gaspare to keep attending. Gaspare listened to Magaddino instead of his own brother.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green