Originally Posted by MightyDR
https://thenewyorkmafia.com/steven-crea-innocent-meldish-murder/9/

To me this is the most compelling and frustrating part. There was wiretap evidence indicating that the word on the street was that another family was behind the killing of Meldish (do we know which one?) but the jury wasn't allowed to hear it. Baffling.

That means that even if one believes Crea was the underboss and in that role, he was privy to all Lucchese family murder plots, the killing of Meldish wasn't actually carried out by the Luccheses.

There was a lot of information the jury didn't hear. And somewhere, I think when I talk about them trying to get Otto on the stand, the FBI didn't follow up on those leads regarding the other two families. So, there's a whole slew of things. In addition, one of my favorites is that these wired-up informants can record stuff but the jury isn't allowed to take what they said four years ago as truth...only their interpretation of it NOW in 2019. That doesn't even make any sense to me at all.

Meldish was not a well-liked guy which is why that quote is at the beginning from Siebel about the whole universe of people who had a problem with him.