Yea what I have gathered was McBratney was a bigger, tough guy and when he started to have doubts about them being LE he resisted with the abduction. It was a bar he was known to frequent so possibly some others intervened but Ralph whether right or wrong made the decision to shoot him in a bar full of people because they were struggling to get him out and ultimately that was not the plan. As someone else posted above he was supposed to be taking somewhere and questioned about who and why. I think it would be fair to guess considering the time Don Carlo may have questioned if people involved were really stupid enough to try that with one of his family members especially one not in the streets and wanted names of everyone that had something to do with it to take everyone out and make sure someone else big in streets wasn’t behind it. Kidnapping relatives of rich people or even a big bookmaker on street is one thing but to do it to the guy in NYC with most power, resources and largest family and associates is a whole different ballgame. It’s just a guess but I would think Don Carlo wanted answers and questioned if A few low level guys really would make that move on their own.