Originally Posted by olivant
Originally Posted by Lana
I understand Michael “distancing himself from his family [crime] business” but why from his family?

It was strange indeed Michael in his Marines uniform, with his 'American' girlfriend in tow, turns up late for his sister's wedding, then goes and sits away from everybody and everything

Michael didn't go to see his father, mother and siblings, doesn't congratulate Carlo and Connie, the bridal couple

“He certainly knew that, after he killed Sol and Mac, he would never be a "civilian" again” though Vito's speech at the peace meeting 'cleared' Michael of all these false charges!

I believe Michael's involvement and killing of McCluskey and Sollozzo, was solely and all about protecting Vito, at that stage

In fact with the war, everyone would be expected to take extra precautions If not for Carlo...
The Corleones couldn't locate Sollozzo even with a hundred buttonmen on the street, twenty four hours a day! looking for Sollozzo

Michael only distanced himself from his father's guidance, not from his family.
Michael did not turn up late for his sister's wedding since the wedding is not portrayed in the film.
No member of the Corleone family is portrayed in the film congratulating Carlo and Connie
None of the Corleone family members is portrayed in the film as going to see each other except Tom and Fredo when they visited Michael and Kay at their table at the reception.

I will have to watch the film again but as I remember, we do not see his father's guidance portrayed in the film until Michael became the Don

The presence of the guests, wedding reception in full swing, bridal couple sitting at the head table, music, dancing, family gathering for a family portrait indicate and I reckon enough is portrayed in the film, to surmise that the ceremony has been concluded and the wedding has been going, for sometime

All these tell me Michael turned up late and it would be the late arrival that goes to see them especially the bridal couple

Also other members of the Corleone family were already at the wedding so would have already congratulated Carlo and Connie