That was through the Cohen family and it was a different Gambino who made the deal. Many of the top Russian mobsters would not do business with Junior, cause they heard stories of him when he was growing up. John Gotti always bailed his son out of a jam. There is truth what John Alite said about Jr running away from his problems, it's one thing when someone is trying to kill you, it is another thing to run away from a fight when it is one on one and you dont have your guys jumping in. This comes from some Avtoritet back then, but they respected his father. There is one incident when John Alite antics in Tampa indirectly interfered with one of the Vory operations in the valet racket, but it was old time from Zappi crew who handled it down in Florida, Junior nor Alite showed up but their was peace and nothing came of it when the Gambinos mad it right, but I am pretty sure this was around the time the Gambinos were thinking of hitting Jr Gotti, which is why he made himself scarce.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green