Originally Posted by Malavita
Originally Posted by Zavattoni
@Malavita

May be wrong but I think; Vario was jailed during that period plus I don't think he would have been a good boss. Guy was in and out of jail alot. He did have alot of power as a captain though; I read his crew was one of/if not the largest crew in the family. He had alot of made guys in his crew which was unusual.

It's true that he had a huge crew.

When you look at his soldiers in the 70's you can only think of how powerful he must have been on the street : Johnny Dio, Franck Manzo, Bruno Facciolo, Joe Sciavo, Al D'Arco, Babe Vario, Rugsy Vario, Anthony Stabile, Louis Daidone, Pete Abbinanti,..not to mention all the associates and semi-retired made guys

Many of these men had major operations and a lot of streetguys around them.

Was Dio actually in the Vario crew? I know he was locked up with him, and Hill talks about it in the book. Thus Frank Pellegrino portraying him in Goodfellas. It's hard to find any info that specifies which crew he belonged to. He seemed to have been all over the city and involved with major rackets. If Paulie was getting a weekly envelope from him no wonder he was raking in so much. On this note, does anyone know which crew Frankie Carbo was in? He too was labeled a "soldier" while being involved in some big rackets but you really don't hear about who he answered to.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea