I always recommend revisiting non fiction books that people might have found boring the first time if they've learned more on the topic. The first time I read Frattiano's book I didn't like it. It was my introduction to the California mob and I didn't recognize most of the names. It was a difficult read and I ended up skimming through it. Over the course of the next few years I learned a lot more about the topic, and when I reread the book the names were really jumping out at me. I enjoy it more each time I read it.

I like Man of Honor. Bonanno really goes into the "Sicilian faction" vs. the "Americanized" faction. That was really a thing. At first the Americanized faction (Luciano, Costello, Anastasia, etc) won out obviously but when you look at the mob today and see Sicilians being incorporated into the higher ranks, especially in the Gambinos, you get the sense the organization is going back to its roots. Bonanno really despised Neapolitans. Insisted they could never understand what the mafia truly stands for. He didn't even believe Capone should have been made.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea