Originally Posted by thebigfella
Bruno had 2 crews in North jersey back then

There was one crew based in North New Jersey. It can be traced all the way back to former Newark crime family member Riccardo Biondi. John Simone took over Biondi crew in the early 1960s but lived in Trenton, so he used Charles Costello and Carl Ippolito as his acting capos most of the time in Newark. Bruno had one crew based in North New Jersey, and two in Southern New Jersey. I believe that is where you saying that Philly had two Northern New Jersey crews, as both Costello and Ippolito had their own people but they were all part of the same crew.

chin-gigante is right, Newark only had one crew from Biondi until 1990 when Licata and Fresolone, first took it up with Pasquale Martirano and Anthony Piccolo about Napoli being incarcerated and needed an official capo on the streets. They felt they weren't getting anywhere with those two guys and decided to go see John Stanfa the other contender for the boss spot and boom, there are now two crews. Stanfa had the Gambinos backing, but if he did not create those two crews, he would not have much family support. George Fresolone was already cooperating with New Jersey State Police since 1988 and there is recordings showing what the family structure was shaping up to be. Caprio also verifies this, and I believe it is save to say that since Caprio flipped, there has only been one Newark crew for the family.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green