Originally Posted by Dob_Peppino
In defense of Neil, Carlo break many rules when he took over. One of the reasons for the Appalachian meeting was to acknowledge Carlo as head of Anastasia's Family. It didn't happen then, a later meeting happened between Tommy Luchesse, Joe Bonanno, Jerry Catena and Richie Boiardo (for Genoveses) Carlo Gambino and Armand Rava. (some other members were also present but these were the main players). It was decided that Carlo would be a "temporary" Boss until the full Commission could meet once the heat from Appalachian calmed down. It was also agreed that nobody could get whacked without bringing it to the Commission.
So Carlo made his power moves, and by the 1962/63 meeting that was supposed to happen, Carlo removed all the major threats in the family. With the Valachi hearings, Joe Profaci's death/Colombo wars and beginnings of Joe Bonanno's problems in his family, Nobody could do anything about it.

Yeah but Nobody can deny joe smart Carlo was not only with dealing with the rackets but how he insulated himself and didn’t draw any attention. I mean I understand the govt didn’t have the Resources it does in modern times but still 20 years as the most powerful boss without going to jail it a feat not many can claim. I don’t think Neil had those same qualities that would have made him last long. Say what you want about Paul but it wasn’t until the end when his reign started to crumble and a lot of it stemmed from the activity of the Bergin crew