this is probably the most misunderstood subjects in mob history.... i pose this question.... if i'm a godfather for 30 years, with a history of handling business in-house, why would i trust a new godfather(who doesn't have control of his family and no allies like his predecessor) to do a high profile hit on other bosses??? it makes no logical sense.
It makes more sense that, Magliocco decided on his own to whack Luchesse and Gambino. they were meddling in Profaci family affairs by supporting the Gallos. Bonanno didn't do anything to intercede (like in the Mangano/Anastasia hits), which was as good as Co-signing the attempt. Luchesse and Gambino used this (with the help of Magaddino) as a powerplay to take control of the Drug trade, take the few unions that the Bonannos had and acquire territory/rackets in Brooklyn. This Is why Bonanno was exiled (without getting whacked). It was all bullshit haha. the proof is
a.) Bonanno doesn't get whacked for allegedly plotting whacking out 5 bosses lol
b.) rise of the Cherry hill Gambinos in the 70s
c.) union/garment businesses that that NY Bonannos were pushed out of in the late 60s/early70s

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano