Originally Posted by Evita
He had already found out Fredo was the traitor in the family

Then still recklessly hangs around in Havana - Roth's kinda town, attends the Presidential party with no protection having dispatched Bussetta on murder duties and knowing he is a dead man once the party is over

I used to think Michael was reckless and irresponsible for leaving his wife and kids in Tahoe, knowing there was a traitor in his family still at large. Then I realized he was being brave: he had to remove himself from Tahoe because Roth didn't care if he endangered his family in his quest to kill Michael. But, by pretending that Pentangeli was the perp, that his relationship with Roth was still good--and by coming to Havana with the promise of the $2 million--Michael was buying time with Roth to find out who the traitor was, and protecting his family by removing Roth's target (himself) from Tahoe.

Michael didn't find out that Fredo was the perp until late that evening. Expecting that Buscetta would kill Roth toute suit, he couldn't leave immediately, with Buscetta, without calling attention to both Buscetta and him, and linking both to Roth's murder. He had to go through the motions by attending the Presidential party to establish an alibi.

A real example of Michael's recklessness is in III: Told that Sicily's top assassin, a man "who never misses," is gunning for him, Michael takes Kay and Mary to the opera house, sitting in a box without any others near them--sitting ducks. mad

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.