Originally Posted by Turnbull
This sequence points up a major theme of the Trilogy: Greed blinds people. Michael's greed for Roth's Havana gaming empire blinded him to signs that Roth was plotting against him (like, why would Roth interest himself in a two-bit beef between the Rosato brothers and Pentangeli over three territories in the Bronx?). Roth's greed for the $2 million blinded him to signs that Michael was onto him (like, not bringing the money and predicting that the rebels would win).
Sure thing Turnbull “major theme of the Trilogy:“ Greed and Revenge affect judgements and lead to under / over estimating especially Michael not cottoning on “why would Roth interest himself in a two-bit beef between the Rosato brothers and Pentangeli over three territories in the Bronx?”

• Roth
Roth played this one beautifully Roth had Michael completely relaxed and confident, in their friendship
When Michael visited Roth in Miami, at Roth's birthday party and after “We are bigger than US Steel” Roth was still sweet talking Michael

• Michael
Michael thought he had Roth's blessing! to move Klingman out as per Ola's message at Anthony's party

Michael didn't even twig straight away that it was Roth who tried to kill Michael in his Tahoe home, believing it was someone inside not realising an outside force [Roth] was involved

If my memory serves me right, among others -

Michael tells,
1. Tom “They [Tahoe assassins] are dead already, killed by somebody close to us – inside”
2. Roth “Pentangeli tried to have [Michael] killed.
3. Pentangeli “It was Roth who tried to have [Michael] killed I know it was Roth” How did Michael suddenly know it was Roth?

I believe, the first, we the audience notice that all is not well in Michael and Roth's friendship was when Michael and Roth gave [Kay's] that look at each, across the table when the Gold phone was being passed around

Then all hell broke loose! the charade finally exposed with Michael's “Who had Frank Pentangeli killed?” [Michael's slip up? that he didn't try to think as people around him think] and Roth's soliloquy

Extract
Anybody kinda rooting for Roth to beat Mike?
Originally Posted by Turnbull
On the other hand, Michael, who could have used violence or murder against Roth, didn't--he was negotiating for the Havana properties. Roth, on the other hand, set up the machine gun attack at Tahoe, and didn't care if Kay was killed in the attack. Moral of story: No honor among thieves.
So wonder how did Michael, what were the signs that made Michael realise, there was an outside force involved in the Tahoe shooting and that force was Roth?