Originally Posted by JC
Originally Posted by OakAsFan
Considering how low key Luciano and his faction were I'm sure they were just fine with the family going by "Genovese". Lucky probably hated his name attached to it in the first place. Wasn't his style.

I don't think that that is correct, Luciano was very flashy, as was Costello, they did nothing to hide who they were. They did a lot of hobnobbing with high society types, much more than Genovese. Genovese was the least flashy of the three, it just happened to be that he was on top when Valachi testified.

I'm not talking about the way in which Luciano and Costello created inroads with mainstream society, I'm talking about whether they preferred to have their name attached to the "thing of theirs". They wanted to be known to important people, but not to be known to the public as heads of a crime organization. I'm sure they were just fine with the press beginning to coin it the Genovese family.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea