I haven't seen the latest episode, but I think Curb jumped the shark around the time JB Smoove was introduced.

Watch Seasons 1-4 and then watch modern Curb. It's like a completely different show; it's become much too self-aware. First of all, Larry David smirks through the entire thing like he's part of the joke. He also goes out of his way to be a jerk, whereas in the earlier episodes you could understand his motivations. It used to be a lot more organic. The series lost its documentary feel somewhere around Season 6.

It's a pity. Seinfeld's motto was "no hugging, no learning". Now it's like Larry has turned into what he originally preached against. Curb spoon-feeds the audience with contrived scenarios where Larry behaves as he is conditioned to.

Example: if he is walking into a building and someone is walking several steps behind him, he will pause just long enough, grunt knowingly, and close the door in someone's face rather than hold it open for them - just being an ass for the sake of being an ass.

The setups are just way too obvious.

I can only judge based on the trailers, but the stuff with Jon Hamm just reeks of fan service as well. Compare it to the natural chemistry with actors like Jason Alexander and Bob Odenkirk in older episodes. It's night and day.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.