Originally Posted by pizzaboy
The 8th Street Street Playhouse had it on a double bill with Raging Bull. My aunt lived across the street. And what I loved is that, in the scene where the gay guys are getting rousted in the car, you not only see the sign for West 8th Street, you also see the old 69 cent store that was literally spitting distance from my aunt and uncle's apartment!

Please look for it upon your next viewing for me, TB. My little brother, who's 56 now lol, and I spent countless Sundays running down to that store with pockets fulls of change. So there are very personal reasons involved for me, but even without that nice personal touch, Mean Streets will ALWAYS be my favorite Scorsese film. Because it's the most raw and endearing NYC film I've ever seen next to The Sweet Smell of Success.

Yup, I spotted the 69 Cent Store tonight while watching "Mean Streets" for about the 500th time. Florsheim Shoes, too. And, the gun store, which I think was on Chambers Street. Didn't see Elpine or Benedict, PB wink
Eighth Street Playhouse was one of a string of "Art Movie Houses" that showed foreign films in the Fifties and Sixties. Owned by Rugoff Theaters. My aunt worked for them. As a result, no one in our family every paid for a movie ticket. Made a big impression on my bride-to-be--she thought I was "sophisticated" because I had a taste for "art movies." My taste actually was for "free movies." lol

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.