Originally Posted by pizzaboy
Was Fredo guilty? It's probably the most volatile question we've ever had here. Over and over and over. So why not ask Francis? I think Puzo would have said no. Just my personal opinion. Because he was so family minded. But Coppola might be more objective, especially almost a half century after these films were made.

Absolutely guilty. He admitted as much in the poolhouse. Did he know the depths of his guilt? Possibly, although he might have WANTED to believe that it wouldn't be a hit, he had to know that it would. He had seen his father shot and had been involved in the family business for many more years than Michael had. On some level, he had to know what betrayal meant in that business.

I think that Michael would have let him live in isolation if Fredo hadn't had his little "I was passed over," temper tantrum. It was at that point that Michael knew that his brother resented him to the point that he could never truly trust him.

As for what I would ask FFC, why did he make Connie and Kay so bitter and self-destructive? In the book, Connie realizes that Michael did her a favor and marries a nice Sicilian boy. Kay accepts what Michael is, and goes to church to pray for him. Why did he change their characters? Did he think they were more interesting this way?

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club