I've been away from the GBB for months due primarily to family reasons and had no idea about Saul. I am just numb.

I had the pleasure of meeting Saul several times, the first being back in February, 2006. There is a thread called A Motley Crew that features that memorable GBB "sit-down" and will always stick in my mind for being a great evening, plain and simple. Saul and I were Brooklyn characters - he lived for a number of years not too far from where I lived.

I last saw him a couple of years ago when he was hospitalized. He was happy to see me and we had a good talk for around a half-hour or so. Problem was, he later told me he was on so much medication he barely remembered my visit! I tried to contact him last Summer when I found myself in the Catskill Region but only got his voicemail. I had no idea his already-bad health had taken such a turn.

I count myself lucky to have known him personally, but, even so, I wish I could have known him better. A number of people have met and become friends due to the GBB, but when people live scattered all over the place, in-person socializing becomes next-to-impossible.

I guess I'm rambling... but I am absolutely heartbroken.

R.I.P. my friend.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."